Antibiotic shelf life?

John Brunstein brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Sat Mar 11 13:37:26 EST 1995

	For what it's worth, I routinely make up ampicillin in 50% EtOH
and store it at -20 (putative temperature, we also have a frosting
problem and presumably resulting higher temperatures).  This does not
freeze, so the problem of repeated freeze-thaw cycles is neatly avoided
as well as allowing for the ampicillin to be used when it's wanted
without having to wait for it to thaw.  I have not done any sort of MIC50
timecourse to estimate the storage life of these stocks, so I don't have
hard numbers but what I have found is that for ordinary bacterial work
(ie, in plates and liquid media) this stock is good for at least one
year.  As the stock is at 200mg/ml, when I dilute it 1/1000 into the media
the ammount of EtOH added is inconsequential.