High mol wt bFGF bands-repost

N.Ambalavanan MD pedp043 at uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu
Sat Mar 11 09:23:46 EST 1995

Hi! I'm doing Western blots for basic FGF on conditioned media from
vascular smooth muscle cells passed through heparin sepharose columns
and then lyophilized and reconstituted. While the control bFGF shows
bands at 18kD, the samples show multiple bands at 45, 66kD and these
bands persist even in reducing gels with DTT or 2-mercaptoethanol.
 I've tried two different primary antibodies and two secondary
antibodies, but the problem persists. Amersham ECL technique is used
for development. While higher mol.wt isoforms of bFGF do exist, the
highest they go to is 23-24kD.
	Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions?   Ambal MD