Q : E. coli instability

Elizabeth Lawrence ez055325 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 13 02:37:24 EST 1995

Hi fellow cloners,

I am having problems with JM109 E. coli maintaining my plasmid.  The
plasmid is a vector plus a viral genome from which I have deleted about
800bp.  I have gotten colonies from electroporation of these bacteria and
up to this point I know I have the right DNA fragment-from gel analysis.
However, after culturing and maxi-prepping it appears that only the
vector was maintained and the entire viral genome was "kicked out".
Please let me know if you have a clue as to why this may be occurring.

Thanks in advance, Liz  eclawrence at ucdavis.edu