Phenol distillation

4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu 4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Tue Mar 14 10:16:53 EST 1995

In article <3jtsft$6f9 at dns1.NMSU.Edu>, smori at nmsu.edu (Shahram Mori) writes:
>Jim Owens (jow at helix.nih.gov) wrote:
>: In article <3jpms8$j6i at owl.und.ac.za> Roy Dace, dace at shrike.und.ac.za
>: writes:
>: >Can any of you suggest whether distillation of new AR phenol should be
>: >necessary?
>
>: Equilibrate with water or buffer.  If the phenol is colorless, with no
>: reddish tinge, it should be OK to use as is.

>That's right. I equilibrate with buffer containing Tris-HCL (7.4), NaCl,
>and EDTA.  I do not do any boiling. Though this is a pain in the butt
>too, it's much safer.

Or, better yet,if you don't need tons of the stuff, buy some pre-equilibrated
phenol. I bought some phenol/chloroform/isoamyl alc. from USB, and it's worth
every penny. It's expensive, so if you need a lot of it, it'll run into  a lot
of money. But I have a 400 ml bottle that's going to last me until I get of my
degree.

Gina Berardesco
4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
University of Massachusetts, Boston