COS-1 cells wanted

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Mar 14 17:33:10 EST 1995

I was interested to read of the posts concerning the use of COS-1 vs COS-7
cells.  A colleague of mine who "was there when COS cells were made" assures
me that, at least at the outset, there was only one line (COS-1) and that
COS-7 originated as a typo brought about by someone who used a large serif
on their figure 1.  I realise that the line(s) have been about for some
time and so artificial differences could arise so, what is the popular
or personal perception of differences between COS-1 and "COS-7"?
Does anyone have any hard data (rather than "ease of transfection" or
growth rates etc.)?  Maybe this is a case of literary, rather than genetic,
mutation.... ;-)
			Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.