Killer gene

Rafael Maldonado rafael at corona
Tue Mar 14 15:12:42 EST 1995

On Fri, 10 Mar 1995, Pekka Rappu wrote:

> 	Is there a gene encoding some kind of protein that kills E. coli
>         either indirectly by activating a poison, for example, or
>         directly?

There are several of them:

1.- sacB, from B. subtilis, works well in E. coli. When expreseed, and in
the presence od sucrose in the medium, an intermediate is produced that
kills the cells.

Gay et al. J. Bacteriol. 164, 918-921 (1985)

2.- rpsL (strA). Since streptomycin resistance is recesive, if you use a
str(r) strain, the expression of a wild-type allele rpsL is lethal in hte
presence os strep.

Dean, D. Gene 15, 99-102 (1981)

3.- pheS. I think it is a subunit of the phe-tRNA synthetase. Some mutant
gene is toxic in presence of an analog. Sorry, I don't remember this very
well and I have no references.

Anyway,  there is a lot of analogs can be used; the expression of some
genes is lethal in their presence. You may find interesting:  R.
T. Vinopal. Selectable phenotypes. In "Escherichia coli and Salmonella
typhimurium celular and molecular Biology". FC Neidhart ed. in chief.
Vol. 2, pg. 58. Published by ASM (1987). (The Bible of E. coli.)

I hope this helps

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado			"You gave to a boy the job
Department of Human Genetics		 of a man. He's dead."
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	                     John Wayne
Rafael at genetics.med.utah.edu
Rafael at corona.med.utah.edu		"No por mucho madrugar, amanece
Tlf: 801-581-4429			mas temprano"
Fax: 801-585-3910