Microwave techniques?

Scott Belcher BELCHER at biomed.med.yale.edu
Wed Mar 15 21:10:50 EST 1995

In <skboyer.45.000D04E4 at ccgate.dp.beckman.com> skboyer at ccgate.dp.beckman.com writes:

> Does anyone have any information on molecular biology techniques which use
> microwaves.  A colleque of mine had heard of techniques using microwave ovens
> to do restriction digests, but we can't find the references.  Also, I seem to
> remember something about using microwaves to lyse bacteria for doing minipreps
> and also for doing colony blots?  I would appreciate any leads on these
> techniques.
>
> Cheers
>
> Scott Boyer
> Beckman Instruments, Inc.

I have used the colony hyb protocol often. The reference for that one is
Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 17 pg. 452, 1989. It works great and is a real
labor and time save if you need to screen more than 10-20 colonies.

The microwave technique that I use most often is to add 0.8g agarose to 100ml
TAE buffer and heat on HI for 2 min....Cheers Scott

Scott Belcher		Belcher at biomed.med.yale.edu