Daniel, Phil danielp at
Wed Mar 15 16:34:44 EST 1995

In article <3k10km$1jb at> "HANELT" <sabine.hanelt at> writes:
>From: "HANELT" <sabine.hanelt at>
>Subject: SV40
>Date: 13 Mar 1995 08:44:06 -0000

>Hey netters,
>I'm working with the human fibroblast cell line MRC5CV1. Does anyone know
>if there is a risk for human working with SV40 transformed cell lines?
>If there is any literature about it, please let me know.
>Thank's for your help

>Sabine.Hanelt at

SV40 transformed cell lines are usually handled in biohazard hoods to reduce
risk of exposure. Humans can apparently pick up this virus, but I don't know
of any proven disease associations.
An article in New Scientist (21 may 1994, page 4) mentions SV40 as a
contaminant in early polio vaccines (1954-1963) administered to millions of
people. The article goes on to discuss how a mystery virus found in
mesothelioma cells (asbestosis related lung cancer) appears to be SV40. I
would be interested to learn of any further work in this area, or other
disease associations of SV40.

Philip Daniel                |  danielp at
Animal & Vet. Sciences Group |  address valid until april 27 1995
Lincoln University           |
New Zealand                  |