The One-dollar Gel Box-Graphite plates for blotting

Dennis Templeton djt2 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:30:32 EST 1995

In article <3k2bd4$3o0 at dns1.NMSU.Edu>, dkim at nmsu.edu (Daniel Kim) wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I really like this idea...much better and neater than the corroded
> paperclips I have seen used.  I wonder if there is some kind of silicone
> grommet that can be used to hold the graphite instead of a dab of
> silicone seal?
>
> Now, to take it a step further, does anyone know where to get flat
> graphite plates so I can make a cheap semi-dry electroblotter?
>
> Daniel Kim

This is within the realm of reality. When I first saw western blotting
oh-so-many-years ago it was in Tony Hunters lab where Jon Cooper (now at
the Hutch) used a carbon plate for wet transfers. As I recall, it was a
carbon-impregnated plastic plate, since pure carbon would have been too
fragile.

I haven't the faintest idea where they were obtained, but electroplating
equipment comes to mind. Anyone at the Fred Hutchinson want to ask Jon
where he got them?

Dennis

Dennis Templeton
Institute of Pathology