wolffie at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 17 15:11:47 EST 1995
Why use phenol?
We used to do LOTS of phenol/chloroform extractions of genomic DNA from
blood and tumors. We switched to a salting-out method:
1. Digest well with proteinase K.
2. Add 1/3 vol. of saturated NaCl, then an equal vol. of
3. gently mix 1 hr on rotating wheel.
4. Spin & precipitate aqueous layer with equal vol. of isopropanol.
5. Wash several times with 70% EtOH.
Mullenbach et. al., Trends in Genetics Vol. 5 No. 12 (Dec '89)
Miller et. al. NAR vol. 16 No. 3 ('88) 1215.
I don't know how great our DNA is --- good enough for restriction digests
and PCR, at least. Saves lots of time.
More information about the Methods