Toothpicks for PCR

"Alexander Kraev" bckraev at aeolus.ethz.ch bckraev at wawona
Fri Mar 17 14:00:01 EST 1995

In article <rapr-1603951535560001 at quadra800.pathology.pitt.edu>, rapr at med.pitt.edu (Robert Preston) writes:
>In article <3k7md1$490 at mark.ucdavis.edu>, szcooley at dale.ucdavis.edu
>(Michael Cooley) wrote:
>

>> We just ran a side by side comparison of toothpick vs yellow tip and
>> found no inhibition of the  PCR reaction.
>>

>Therefore, I deduce that your particular primers and other unstated conditions
>are perhaps extremely robust in comparison with various other people's
>conditions, OR your assay for inhibition is uselessly insensitive.  The
>information you post is almost meaningless in the absence of additional
>data.  Cripes, good thing the net ain't refereed or we'd miss such jewels
>of negative evidence.
>
>--
The reason why in another post I advocate the use of Metal Needles, is related
to the problem of robustiness ( sorry, if the word is not spelled correctly ).
The problem with colony picking is more often that of taking too much ( for
which yellow tips are well suited ), rather then too little. Since needles
worked well in the hands of numerous students that made this experiment, with
a number of different cyclers and in several labs, I have the courage to
advocate this ( rather strange ) tool. There are numerous kinds of tips now,
and some of them do have really sharp point. Those latter may be better for
colony picking, then others. Have a nice weekend, everybody

Alexander Kraev, Ph.D.                 Internet: bckraev at aeolus.ethz.ch
Lab. of Biochemistry III               Phone: 0041-1-632-31-47
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology  FAX:   0041-1-632-12-13
Universitaetstr.16
CH-8092 Zurich
"Some ideas are obscure not because they are complex, but because they
 are excluded from our circle of comprehension" - Kozma Prutkov