RT-PCR using S1 Nuclease

Martin D. Leach leach at bu.edu
Sat Mar 18 12:18:27 EST 1995

In article <3kd2lm$olo at steele.ohsu.EDU>, "Petra M. Jakobs, Ph.D."
<jakobsp at ohsu.edu> wrote:

> From: Philip S. Ruban  Sahaayar at ohsu.edu
> I am trying to do RT-PCR, using S1 nuclease.

How about using a reverse transcriptase? AMV or MuLV.

 Basically, I first extract
> my RNA and throw the probe of my interest into the total RNA. Then cut
>  with S1 nuclease and
> amplyfy the hybrid.

How? Using S1 will digest all the single stranded DNA/RNA...Where are the
primers sticking to? What is the primer you are using for the reverse
transcription step?

, using PCR.
> Could anyone know the protocol for this method?

There is a S1-nuclease digestion protocol found in Maniatis (the bible)

but this does not involve any PCR...You just run the result of the
digestion on an acrylamide gel..

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
My homepage:
Biotech company listing:

p.s. try BioMOO  -virtual biology on the internet..
telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888