Microwave techniques?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Sat Mar 18 15:34:23 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9503171740.A538996924-0100000 at SKYCAT.USask.CA>, LEES at SASK.USASK.CA writes:
>> > Does anyone have any information on molecular biology techniques which use
>> > microwaves.  A colleque of mine had heard of techniques using microwave ovens
>> > to do restriction digests, but we can't find the references.  Also, I seem to
>> > remember something about using microwaves to lyse bacteria for doing minipreps
>> > and also for doing colony blots?  I would appreciate any leads on these
>> > techniques.
>>
>> while i have never used them, they seem to be mythical bionet creatures who
>> surface occassionally and are seen by only a few people but heard of by
>> many.  personally, i wouldn't put too much stock in them.  if they were for
>> real and worked very well, they would be published by now, at least in
>> biotechniques or something like that.

I agree with respect to enzymatic reactions in microwaves, and
would ask, why the hell bother? IMHO every microwave is so
variable as to make any sort of reproducibility of this kind of
technique impossible, if indeed there is any real effect.  BUT, I
DO USE THE MICROWAVE FOR COLONY BLOTS, AND THIS IS A GREAT
METHOD:

(1989).  A rapid procedure for colony screening using nylon
filters.  NAR 17, 452.

Forster, A., Buluwela, L., Rabbitts, T.H. (1990).  Turbo
screening of bacterial colonies using microwave denaturation on
paper filters.  TIG 6, 141 (Though, with respect to Alan - I
can't get this to work)!
--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750