Favorite bacterial RNA prep??

John Fox J.R.Fox at shu.ac.uk
Sat Mar 18 15:51:00 EST 1995

In article <3k72bs$2ph at elaine8.Stanford.EDU>, melbar at leland.Stanford.EDU (Melanie Jean Barnett) says:

>I'm searching for a method to prepare high quality RNA from the Gram-negative
>bacterium, Rhizobium meliloti. (For use in primer extension)
>
>I'd like to hear from anyone who has a protocol for bacterial RNA purification
>that works well for them.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Melanie
>melbar at leland.stanford.edu

Hi- I have some information for you cocerning an RNA extraction Kit :

The kit is available from

Fluka Chemie AG,
Industriestr 25,
9470,
Switzerland,
Tel.  +41-81-7552511
Fax. +41-81-7565449

The kit is useful for both small and large scale RNA preparations and contains
enough reagents to isolate total RNA from at least 7g of tissue.  Extracted RNA
is free from DNA and contains fewer contaminating proteins than RNA prepared
by the guanidinium-CsCl method.  Containing no centrifugation step the method is
based on a single step guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction and is
therefore suitable for the simultaneous processing of a large number of samples.

Hope this helps,

John