Triton X-114 Endotoxin Removal-S.O.S.

Martin Sorich msorich at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 20 02:41:37 EST 1995

Dear mthd-rgnt users,

	I am trying to remove endotoxin in plasmid preps in order to
obtain highly-pure transfectable DNA.  I have been using Polymixin B
(coupled to agarose beads) and this works quite efficiently in removing
endotoxin.  Unfortunately, Boehringer Mannheim is discontinuing this
product, and I have read in articles that Triton x 114 (Sigma) can
remove endotoxin from plasmid preps just as efficiently. I have tried
using this reagent and so far, my efforts have been unfruitful. Has
anyone used Triton x 114 as an endotoxin remover and if so, could you
please send me your comments, suggestions and/or protocol. Thank you in
advance!

Martin Sorich

sorichma at aisx.com
msorich at ix.netcom.com