Formaldehyde RNA gels.

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 20 16:10:23 EST 1995

In article <saleem.18.000F274A at rfhsm.ac.uk>, saleem at rfhsm.ac.uk (Dr Saleem
Mohammed) wrote:

> From a paper from biotechniques (1993, can't remember the exact details), it
> was suggested that 0.22M formaldehyde could be used.  The authors recommend
> using 0.22M formaldehyde in the sample buffer and in the gel running buffer.
> This helps prevent diffuse ribosomal RNA bands so giving a cleaner picture of
> the quality of the RNA.

Or, as has been posted a while back, you can cast the gel with
formaldehyde at a final concentration of 0.66M and leave it out of the
running buffer (Basic Methods in Molecular Biology by Davis, Dibner and
Battey, Elsevier, 1986). I do recommend using formaldehyde in freshly
prep'd loading buffer (approx 6.4% final concentration).

Cheers
Karl

--
Karl Fischer