Marathon-RACE (clontech) inquiry

Jon Nakamoto jnakamot at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 21 18:02:40 EST 1995

Brad,

After complaining loudly about the price (which is outrageous), I
went ahead and bought the kit because I was desperate for fast
results. It's a clever variation on standard RACE, and the short
answer is that it works -- sort of. The control reactions for
transferrin receptor (2.4 kb 5' fragment and 2.8 kb 3' fragment)
worked beautifully; my 3' RACE reaction worked OK, but my 5' RACE
reaction wasn't great, even with nested primers. The problem could
very well be my choice of an internal primer for the 5' RACE (yield
and size distribution of the ds cDNA were good).Or maybe I still
need to play around more with the amplification conditions.

Keep my e-mail address and ask me again in a few weeks after I play
around with it some more. I'd also like to see other comments about
the technique.

Jon

Jon Nakamoto, MD
Clinical Instructor of Pediatrics/Endocrinology, UCLA
jnakamot at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu

(no connection with Clontech)