Getting out the brown from DNA

Paul E. Ulanch pulanch at bioch.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 21 12:57:51 EST 1995

In article <3k9o7b$eqv at anchor.cc.umb.edu> 4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu writes:
>From: 4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
>Subject: Re: Getting out the brown from DNA
>Date: 16 Mar 1995 16:15:39 GMT

>In article <D5HqxD.K4y at crash.cts.com>, rcdana at crash.cts.com (Richard Dana) writes:
>>How do I eliminate the brown color from plant DNA preps?
>>
>>I've tried phenol/chloroform and PVP additions to the buffer with no luck.
>>
>>Richard

>Have you tried running it through an agarose gel? Works for humics, when
>extracting DNA from soils and sediments. Adding PVPP helps, too.

>Good Luck-

>Gina

What I have seen done is to treat the DNA with a little SDS to remove the
color and then remove the SDS with K-acetate.  Spin down the K-SDS ppt and
then add EtOH to ppt the DNA.  We used this treatment to isolate DNA from
Sorghum for making a genomic library and for PCR with very high yields.

Good Luck!

Paul "Goose" Ulanch

Dept. Biochem/Biophys
Texas A&M University