GENE EXPRESSION

Martin D. Leach leach at bu.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:56:30 EST 1995

In article <3kok7v$9fq at biovax.biobase.dk>, sjn at biobase.dk (Soeren Jensby
Nielsen) wrote:

> Hi netters
>
> I am working with a human gene that is expressed in all tissues except
skeletal
> muscle. I would like to examine why my gene is extinguished in skeletal muscle
> using in vitro reporter gene assays (like CAT etc.) Now the question is how
> do I do this? In other words : Which cell line meets my demands of being
> of terminally differentiated striated muscle origin and how do I treat it?
>
> All suggestions are extremely welcome

I believe there is a Murine C2C12 cell line, forms myoblasts in cultures
(high serum) and can be differentiated into myotubes (skeletal muscle) in
low serum conditions..

check out ATCC (http://www.atcc.org/) i think they may supply it.

otherwise perform a medline search...I know Nadia Rosenthal of BU used to
use this cell line for promoter bashing work.

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
                                             head.....WIBBLE"
My homepage: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
Biotech company listing: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/biolcomm.html

p.s. try BioMOO  -virtual biology on the internet..
telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888