PCRs no longer working. HELP!

Andre Hamel hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 24 15:15:42 EST 1995

Try following:

1/  Thaw reaction components 10 min @ 65*C (10x buffer & primers).
Include 10 mM NaOH in ALL primer stocks (helps minimize aggregates due to
prolonged storage in solution [freeze/thaw]) ... if primers fail over
time, don't discard, simply add 10 mM NaOH again! ... almost
ocunterintuitive, eh? ... but it WORKS!  :^)
dNTPs need only be thawed on bench.

2/  After 10x buffer (ours has MgCl2 in it already) & primers are thawed
& heatedd @ 65*C -> reaction mixes MUST be set up on bench, this includes
addition of enzymes ... otherwise MgCl2 ppts out (can't see it, too
little to detect by eye ... compare making on ice versus on bench).

3/  THEN one can aliquot complete rx'n mixes, overlay with oil AND
finally put on ice  after aliquoted ... after on ice for a couple of
minutes, addd template  (ALIQUOTED rx'n mixes must be chilled before
adding template).

4/  Preheat thermocycler to 95*C & hold at 95 until rx'n tubes added
(this equals hot start).

cheers,

  Andre Hamel                      email: hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
  Manitoba Government                         tel: 204/945-7630
  Department of Agriculture                   FAX: 204/945-8062
  Animal Health Centre
  Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA