Help! RNA extraction

Aaron Pawlyk aaron at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 24 12:05:13 EST 1995

Andrew Brooks (A.Brooks at shef.ac.uk) wrote:
: Does anybody have a really good RNA extraction method for small amounts of tissue.
: Preferably one that can all be done in a 1.5ml microfuge tube.

I'd recommend TRIZol reagent.  You can get this from a few suppliers, we
usually get ours from Gibco-BRL.  They recommend using 0.8 mL of the reagent
for anything less than 50-100 mg of tissue.

Also, if you are using a very small amount of tissue, say less than 15 mg or
so, you should probably use some form of carrier to help precipitate.  The
protocol for the use of TRIZol has recommendations on carriers.

			-- Aaron