Nonidet P-40

"Mayer, Jorge ", 3637 J.MAYER at CGNET.COM
Mon Mar 27 10:56:22 EST 1995

In article <3l5203$2js at>, icagen at (Chris Silvia)

> In article <baxley-2603951454190001 at>,
baxley at (Lara Endres Baxley) says:

> >Does anyone know what Nonidet P-40 does and where I can get some?  A
> >protein purification protocol calls for 0.01% Nonidet P-40 in all of the
> >buffers.
> >
> Try Calbiochem.  Sigma doesn't carry this any more.
> Chris

>Sorry Chris but Sigma still carries it (1995 catalogue, cat. number 6507 -
usual disclaimer). And to Laura, NP-40 is a nonionic detergent; I use it
to remove virus envelope and permabilize virus capsid.

Karl Fischer
kfischer at
tyr-2 at

Nonidet P-40 is the same as Triton X-100, which is a common nonionic
detergent used in many extraction protocols to solubilize membranes, very
good for nuclear membranes. As already somebody stated, it has a polar
polyethylenglycol chain and a  non-polar tail to interact with membranes,
leading to the formation of lipids trapped in water-soluble micelles.

 -Jorge <j.mayer at>