Urea SDS-PAGE

ANDREI POPOV ANDREI.POPOV at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 21:24:49 EST 1995

>I have tried to run an SDS-polyacrylamide gel containing 8M urea but have
>not had much success (the resolution of the proteins is very poor).  If
>anyone has any suggestions of things to try or any protocols, it would be
>very much appreciated.

Best pictures Ive ever seen/done were SDS-PAGE with 8M urea.
Check for the purity of your urea. Also, I kept my acrylamide
stock solutions in the presence of ion-exchange resin.
In the presence of 8M urea the resistance of your gel will
increase as well as the total time of the run.
If you use some cooling chamber be sure that Urea doesnot fall
out- it happens mostly with o/n runs....
hope it helps
Andrei