Methylmercuric hydroxide- SOURCE?

Tom Thatcher ttha at
Tue Mar 28 16:34:30 EST 1995

In <9503280850.AA04948 at> bturner at MED-ITVAX1.BU.EDU (Bradley Turner) writes:

>You can obtain methyl mercury hydroxide from:

>Hope this helps, we use it to denature mRNA for the synthesis of cDNA
>Formaldehyde gels are also pretty simple, we use the method in
>Davis LG, Dibner MD, Battey JF
>Basic Methods in Molecular Biology
>Elsevier, New York, 1986  pg.143
>which uses 0.66M formaldehyde in the gel and running buffer.

Check with your institution's policy on hazardous waste before you
order.  Under a (1992?) law, mercury waste can not be disposed of
anywhere in the US.  Our university has to ship mercury waste
overseas for disposal, and they charge thousands of dollars to do

Tom Thatcher                          | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it
ttha at           | to crack nuts.