Where to get Nonidet P-40

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Mar 28 15:16:48 EST 1995

 In article <kfischer-2603952105250001 at duckter.glaxo.med.ualberta.ca>
 kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Karl Fischer) writes:

| Does anyone know what Nonidet P-40 does and where I can get some?  A
|                       ^^^^^^^ ^^^^
| protein purification protocol calls for 0.01% Nonidet P-40 in all of the
| buffers.

: ... And to Laura, NP-40 is a nonionic detergent; I use it
:                   ^^^^^
: to remove virus envelope and permabilize virus capsid.
:
: Cheers
: Karl

Laura,

Be Warned!

On page 752 of my 1995 Sigma Catalog, it reads:

``NP-40: Tergitol NP-40 (Nonylphenoxy Polyethoxy Ethanol). This detergent
is often mistaken for Nonidet P-40 (Octylphenoxy Polyethoxy Ethanol)''

I take this to mean they are NOT the same.

Tergitol NP-40 is a Union Carbide product like Triton X-100, but I'm not sure
they are the same eventhough they are used for the same thing - sufactants to
disrupt cell membrane and protein coagulates.

* - - - - -  Methods FAQ list -> http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~pnh - - - - - - *