Cryptic splicing of mammalian cDNA in transfected TC cells

Thu Mar 30 00:40:15 EST 1995

Dear netters,

We have subcloned a 1.3 kb full-length Bovine cDNA into eukaryotic expression
vectors pBK-CMV (Stratagene) and pcDNA3 (Invitrogen).  These two constructs were
independently transfected into a hamster cell line (CCL16) and the transient
expression of the full-length bovine cDNA was monitored by Northern analysis.
Normally, we expect a huge signal of about 1.3 kb for the bovine message.
However, in both cases we observed the bovine message to be only 0.2 to 0.3 kb.

We have tried probing the Northern blot independently with a 5' and a 3'
fragments; both picked up a 0.2 to 0.3 kb message.

Is there "cryptic" splicing of the Bovine cDNA???

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Please send your response by e-mail:  hau at

Many thanks