Smiling sequencing gels

Daniel Mcgoldrick ez005139 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 30 20:22:44 EST 1995

I have been running several 32 well sequencing gels in order to characterize
some inserts I have cloned and am annoyed by the smiling in the outer
sequences. I can't switch to a larger gel because of the means I use to
visualize my sequences (laser excited flourescence). I have read about buffer
backed sequencing rigs that supposedly eliminate smiling, and currently I
am using aluminum backplates. I'm running a 6% flat gel, 0.4mm thick, at 1600
volts. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks from experience? Do the
buffer backed gels really work?
					Cheers,
				               Dan

Daniel J McGoldrick
UC Davis Bodega Marine Laboratory
PO Box 247
Bodega Bay, Ca, 94923.
djmcgoldrick at ucdavis.edu
Fax 707 875-2089
lab 707 875-2076                   Yes, where they filmed "The Birds"