TA cloning : clone contamination

txpljfg at uabcvsr.seas.ucla.edu txpljfg at uabcvsr.seas.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 30 16:07:53 EST 1995

If you are cloning products that are very short, somtimes they will be
in frame with the beta-gal gene and the colonies will be blue even
though they contain an insert.  I often find that the colonies are
lighter blue when this happens.

chukins (@fs1.ho.man.ac.uk) wrote:

> I cloned a PCR product using TA cloning, I picked white colonies ,
> analysed rapidly with PCR using the same primers I originally used for my
> PCR product , they were all positive.
> After O/N culture in liquid media, I did  streak my white colonies,
> surprisingly I found blue colonies growing on my plates that had X-Gal.
> Is there any logical explanation for this apart from the very remote
> possibility of contamination?Please help.

James F. George, Ph.D.              Transplantation Immunology Laboratory
Department of Surgery               *Please sign your organ donor card*
University of Alabama at Birmingham
205-934-4261 voice
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu