Mosaicism in X. laevis embryos

anmab2 at orion.alaska.edu anmab2 at orion.alaska.edu
Thu Mar 30 02:07:47 EST 1995

Hello:

Our research group is currently using micro injected X. laevis
embryos to study temporal and tissue-specific expression of several
genes during development.

We have been using a LacZ reporter system coupled with standard X-
Gal staining.  To date, our results have been spotty due to mosaicism
in the embryos.

We have experimented with injecting both supercoiled and linearized
plasmid DNA, with similar results.  We get only slightly better results
if we  inject the 4 cell stage embryo in each of the four cells.  Any
suggestions on how to minimize the problem of mosaicism will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reese Bolinger
University of Alaska, Anchorage  anmab2 at orion.alaska.edu