Suggestions for increasing phage stability?

Brad Nicholson brad at corona.med.utah.edu
Fri Mar 31 01:18:21 EST 1995

In article <3lfo6u$d2f at nntp3.u.washington.edu>, stardog at u.washington.edu
(Kevin Lease) wrote:

> Hi,
>Deletia<
 >	Could someone please  post a good protocol for stable storage of
phage
 >clones?
 >
 >Thank you,
 >          Kevin Lease

Hello Kevin
Are you amplifying your stocks before storage?  It's definately a good idea
to do so.  A real handy protocol for making phage stocks for freeze and
working stocks is described in "Experiments With Gene Fusions" Silhavy,
Berman & Enquist. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, ISBN 0-87969-163-8.
Procedure 1 (Preparation of 2-ml High-titer lambda liquid lysates) makes a
bunch of phage, is easy and reasonably quick.  If the phage clones are
really important I then titer the stock to make sure I have at least 10^9
pfu/ml.  I store my working stocks in amber wheaton vials over a drop of
chloroform at 4 C and I keep my freezer stocks in 7% DMSO (Good quality
DMSO is important) at -70 C.

If you have any questions let me know.

Brad
Brad Nicholson              |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology     |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah          |	Live from behind the Zion Curtian.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132    |
brad at corona.med.utah.edu    |
or: (801)-581-4365          | My opinions are solely my own.