Protocol for downward blot

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Mar 31 16:40:28 EST 1995

 In article <1995Mar31.170930.1 at hkucc.hku.hk>
 lmjakt at hkucc.hku.hk (Martin Jakt) writes:

| A while back (could be a couple of months or so) there were some postings
| about different methods of blotting DNA and or RNA, in particular I remember
| being mentioned a downward blot using a sponge soaked with the particular
| solution on top of the gel, and with the nitrocellulose/nylon beneath it.
| This method, as i remember, was only meant to take a couple of hours, as
| our lab has always used capillary blot in the reverse direction taking o/n
| I would be very interested where I can find a protocol for this method.
| (I want to do some blots quite soon, but I dont fancy blotting overnight)
| Any timesaving advice would be appreciated. (In terms of blotting equipment
| in our lab, we basically only have membranes and paper towels)

@article{Chomczynski1992,
author = "P. Chomczynski",
title = "One-hour downward alkaline capillary transfer for
blotting of {DNA} and {RNA}",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "201",
pages = "134-139",
year = "1992"}

@article{Zhou1994,
author = "M. Y. Zhou
     and D. Xue
     and E. P. Gomez-Sanchez
     and C. E. Gomez-Sanchez",
title = "Improved downward capillary transfer for blotting
of {DNA} and {RNA}",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "16",
number = "1",