CsCl vs column kits

Emmanuel Skoufos, Ph.D. skoufos at
Fri Mar 31 10:31:32 EST 1995

In article <3lfb1i$a1n at>, cstryker at
 (cynthia stryker) writes:
>We are still doing CsCl plasmid (&sometimes genomic) preps.  I'd
>appreciate comments, + or -, on the various column kits available.
>Thanks in advance.  Cindy at UNL

Both methods have their advantages:

-you get more supercoiled DNA (essential if you are doing transfections)
-it is considerable less expensive (once you have the necessary set up)
-you can get more DNA than columns

-They are quick
-They contain no hazardous materials (EtBr)
-Can be used by entry level scientists
-You can always call the company for troubleshooting and/or free samples

I hope this is of help

Emmanuel Skoufos, Ph.D.                          | The opinions and views
Insect Molecular Biology Group                   | presented here are my own
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology | and only my own.
Heraklion, Crete 71110                           |skoufos at
Greece                                           |skoufos at
Phone xx-3081-212890       FAX: xx-3081-231308   |ga119 at