Nonidet P-40

Steve Danko sdanko at
Fri Mar 31 18:41:00 EST 1995

>  > >Does anyone know what Nonidet P-40 does and where I can get some?  A
>  > >protein purification protocol calls for 0.01% Nonidet P-40 in all of the
>  > >buffers.
>  Nonidet P-40 is the same as Triton X-100, which is a common nonionic
>  detergent used in many extraction protocols to solubilize membranes, very
>  good for nuclear membranes. As already somebody stated, it has a polar
>  polyethylenglycol chain and a  non-polar tail to interact with membranes,
>  leading to the formation of lipids trapped in water-soluble micelles.
Nonidet P-40 is ethylphenolpoly(ethyleneglycolether)n

Triton X-100 is octylphenolpoly(ethyleneglycolether)n

Both are nonionic surfactants.
Both are available from Berhringer Mannheim or Sigma.

For more info, ask Boehringer Mannheim for their free booklet:
"Detergents for Membrane Research".

Steve Danko
sdanko at