GFP: What is Coelenterazine

thoenes thoenes at itc-biotech.com
Tue Mar 21 07:40:00 EST 1995

Dear Bionetters,

During my literture studies about the "Green Fluorescent Protein" I found
a component named "coelenterazine" (Inouye and Tsuji, FEBS Letters 351
(1994) 211-214) as the organic substrate for aequorin. During the reaction
it is oxidized to coelenteramide.
Is there anybody out there who can tell me the chemical formula and
structure as well as some details about coelenterazine?

In some ealder papers one also can find "coelenterates". I never hears
about this word. Is this a certain sort of organism ?

Thanks for any kind of answer

U. Thoenes
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##