Nested PCR

Hummel uks13mh at 160.45.216.1
Mon May 1 22:45:12 EST 1995

>From: lhale at UPEI.CA (Larry Hale)
>Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
>Subject: Nested PCR
>Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:09:07 GMT
>
>This might be a bit of a simple question, but could someone tell me in 30
>words or less what "nested PCR" is? I know about regular and inverse PCR,
>but haven't run across this variety.
>
>Either post or Email to LHALE at UPEI.CA
>
>Thanks a lot!

Nested PCR could be performed by using an aliquot of a first PCR run (
usually 1 ul) employing one or two "new" primers which are capable of
binding within the first amplificate, therefore designated as "nested-primer"
PCR. The advantage and disadvantage is the enormous sensitivity which can
easily cause contaminations. This approach is able to amplifiy single copies
which such an efficiency that the resulting PCR products can be directly
sequenced.

If you need some more information please feel free to contact me

Michael

Michael Hummel
Free University of Berlin
uks13mh at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de