Denhards

Allen Gathman C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Fri May 5 10:01:17 EST 1995

In article <3o882q$hm7 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Rainer Lemke <lemke at rz.uni-leipzig.de> writes:
>Hello, does anybody know, whether Denhards solution (50* Stock)
>is autoclavable or not? Thanks a lot! Rainer
>.
>.

You can't autoclave Denhardt's, in part because it contains BSA, which
will denature and coagulate into something like egg drop soup if you try
it.  The recipe in Short Protocols says to filter it.  Through what, I
don't know, since it's too thick to go through anything I've tried.  We
just make it up and store at -20, and haven't had any obvious problems
with stuff growing in our hybridizations.

|    Allen Gathman                |                                    |
|    Biology Department           |  Internet: C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU |
|    Southeast Missouri St. U.    |  Phone: (314) 651-2361             |
|    Cape Girardeau, MO 63701     |  Fax: (314) 651-2223               |
|    "Anyone would know that," said Dorothy.                           |
|    "Certainly; that is why I know it," returned the Scarecrow.  "If  |
|    it required brains to figure it out, I never should have said it."|
|    -L. Frank Baum                                                    |