ECL detection kit

Curt Ashendel ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Mon May 8 09:19:54 EST 1995

On 5 May 1995 23:02:44 GMT,
Blake Meyers  <ez044224 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>I'm curious if anyone has figured out a way to stretch the life of
>Amersham's ECL detection kit. I find that we have plenty of labelling
>reagent, blocking reagent and somewhat less of the hybridization
>solution, but we quickly burn through the detection reagent.
>
>Does anyone know if you can either dilute the detection reagents, or even
>better, what's in them so I can make my own?

For protein blots I just use less than the instructions indicate (0.8 ml
each reagent for an 11 x 14 cm blot). Just smear the liquid around in the
bag and be sure to remove all the wash solution before adding the ECL or it
will be diluted.

Dilution is not a big problem and affects the intensity in a non-linar way,
since both subtrates are well above their Km for the enzyme. Dilution
probably has more affect on the time course of the peroxidase reaction,
which is notoriously non-linear. However, I have not tried dilution of the
reagent as a means of stretching it.

There was a post to this group on how to make your own reagents last
september by Yasushi Okada. I saved it, so here is the quote:

********
Here is the recipe I use,

Stock solns.
a) Luminol stock: Luminol (Sigma) 4mg/ml in DMSO.
b) Enhancer stock: p-iodophenol (Aldrich) 1mg/ml DMSO.
c) Tris Buffer: 100mM Tris.HCl pH7.5
d) H2O2: 3% H2O2

Stock solns a) and b) should be kept in -20deg for <6 months.

Working soln. (Prepare just before use)
a) 0.5ml, b) 0.5ml, c) 2.5ml, d) 25ul, ddw 1.5ml (final 5ml)

This is very cheap, and as sensitive as ECL kit.

Reference: Schneppenheim et al (1991) Electrophoresis 12:367-372.

Hope this helps.

--
Yasushi Okada, MD.
********