PCR question

Jeffrey Ma jma at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu
Mon May 8 15:02:25 EST 1995

In article <9505051952.AA23370 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu>, aa374885 at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU (Ahmet Arman) says:

>Hi netters!
>I am doing PCR using 60 bp template and 15 mer primers. My PCR conditions:

[edit]

>I never get single sharp band and am getting smear DNA. I checked all possible

[edit]

I was having this problem as well as a friend of mine.  He suggested I
try Promega's Taq.  He found that it caused less smearing when he ran
his gels.  I gave it a shot and also found that a PCR using Perkin Elmer's
AmpliTaq gave more of a smear than Promega's (blue capped tube), although
there was still some smearing with Promega's. The level of amplification
was no less than using AmpliTaq, too.  All other conditions were kept
the same.  Give it a try.

Good luck.

Jeff
jma at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu