5 prime RACE HELP

Gill Diamond gdiamond at njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU
Tue May 9 12:19:38 EST 1995

anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu (Eric C. Anderson) writes:

>In article <bazanowski-0505951934070001 at cellbio03.med.upenn.edu>,
>bazanowski at a1.mscf.upenn.edu (Anne Bazanowski) wrote:

>> In article <adatta-0405951027030001 at pelican.biology.emory.edu>,
>> adatta at biology.emory.edu (abhijit datta) wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any words of advice for someone attempting to find his 5
>> > prime end by RACE (or any other method)?
>> >
>> > Does anyone have experience with the kit from BRL?
>> >
>> > jonathan
>> > jreiss at biology.emory.edu
>>
>> Would anyone have any comments regarding any other kits on the market?
>> How problematic is the procedure in general?
>> Thanks.

>this is only my experience (and that of 2 other lab members), but i
>wouldn't touch the Gibco/BRL kit with a 10 foot pipettor.  i wasted about
>a month trying to optimize that technique.  then i bought the Clontech
>AmpliFINDER 5' RACE kit (not the Marathon kit, i have no experience with
>that one although i have heard good things about it) and got my 5'cDNA
>after only 2 tries.

>i made some minor alterations to the Clontech protocol which i will be
>happy to share with anyone who wishes to try the AmpliFINDER kit.

>the usual disclaimer of no involvement with Clontech other than as a
>customer applies.

>eric

>--
>"i don't know what caffeine does for you, but i'm pretty sure that without it your head caves in."

>eric c. anderson                                 anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
>dept. of molecular bio. and pharm.               (314)362-3963 (lab)
>washington univ. school of medicine              (314)362-7058 (FAX)
>660 s. euclid box 8103
>st. louis, mo 63110

>for a comprehensive list of bike related web pages... http://pharmdec.wustl.edu/~anderson/anderson.html
I have to disagree.  I've used the BRL kit numerous times with success.
Gill Diamond, Ph.D.			Internet: gdiamond at umdnj.edu
Department of Anatomy, Cell Biolgy	Voice: (201) 982-3324
   and Injury Sciences			Fax:  (201) 982-7489
UMDNJ
"I'm good enough.
I'm smart enough,
And, doggonit, people like me"