harold.drabkin at channel1.com
Wed May 10 02:10:00 EST 1995
Subject: Strainbook Software??
U>Has anyone generated a shareware/freeware program for keeping track of a
U>strainbook to ease sorting and searching of strains?? I looked at the
U>IUbio archives but did not find anything.
There is a program called "clones"; dos based. Here is a description
lifted from the help file:
CLONES is a database for the products of molecular biology
techniques. Different options of CLONES provide:
* stores data about bacterial strains,
cloning vectors (phage and plasmid),
recombinant clones, and
* easy entry and editing of data
* automatic organization of all data
* fast searches for one or many related records
* convenient listing and editing of records
* printing of some or all records
* splitting or combining databases
* storage of information for any number of different items
Hardware requirements for CLONES
The system requirements of CLONES are:
- 256 Kb of free (i.e., available) memory (RAM)
- DOS 2.1 or higher
- 100% compatibility with an IBM-PC/AT/PS2
- at least 50 Kb of free disc space above
the size of the largest database
- the presence of the file "CLONES.HLP" in the
same directory as the program
The author info is:
Hal B. Jenson, M.D.
Department of Pediatrics
Yale University School of Medicine
333 Cedar Street
New Haven, CT 06510
However, I don't know if this is still correct, as the program I have is
I have posted this program on channe1 in cambridge; however, please note
that visitors are not allowed full access. I will try to upload a copy
to the iubio archives.
* OLXWin 1.00 * Beam me up Scotty!
More information about the Methods