taq isolation

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu May 11 12:35:00 EST 1995

With regards patents, the Roche US enzyme patent is specific for
Thermus aquaticus YT1. Any other Thermus sp. should be OK. Don't
forget that the PCR process is yet another patent so if you make
something like Taq then it's use for the PCR process could also be
illegal.

This however is not the case with the European enzyme patent. Here the
patent app. (granting is held up due to the Promega/Roche challenge
in the US) specifies ANY thermophilic DNA pol of size range
between something like 88000 and 94000 daltons. This takes out all
known thermophilic pols including Bst, Bca, Vent, Pfu, Pwo, Taq, Tfl,
Tub, Tth and Tbr etc. The US patent is nothing compared to this!

Duncan