How to detect DNA mismatches?

Eric Stephen estephen at hpb.hwc.ca
Thu May 11 08:28:08 EST 1995

gstuart at unixg.ubc.ca (Gregory Stuart) wrote:

> Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to quickly and simply detect
> mismatches in DNA, other than using the mismatch repair enzymes or
> resolvases, or the osmium tetroxide method? We want to localize mutations
> in our lambda PCR products, to speed up sequencing (i.e. if you know
> where the mutation is, you can select the correct sequencing primer). I
> will post a summary, if I receive sufficient response.
> --
> --
> Greg Stuart		gstuart2 at sol.uvic.ca	Fax : 604-656-8148
> Centre for Environmental Health, University of Victoria,
> 9865 West Saanich Rd., Sidney, British Columbia, CANADA. V8L 3S1.

The following might be of some use to you:

R.G.H. Cotton (1993) Current methods of mutation detection.
Mutation Research 285: 125-144.  The review covers the methods used for detection
of unknown mutations including the ribonuclease, denaturing gradient-gel
electrophoresis, carbodiimide, chemical cleavage, single-strand conformation polymorphism,
heteroduplex and sequencing methods.

Estephen at hpb.hwc.ca
(613) 957-9278 (office)
(613) 954-2486 (fax)