Pink DNA Preps

Malboobi M Ali 3mam25 at qlink.queensu.ca
Thu May 11 13:26:11 EST 1995

Rory O'Brien (Biotech) (ROBRIEN at ollamh.ucd.ie) wrote:
: Has anybody out there ever seen their DNA extractions turn a bright
: pink colour with the addition of phenol/chloroform/iso-amyl alcohol
: ? The DNA in question is mycobacterial but I have seen this happen
: with eukaryotic extracts also. P/C/I is Tris buffered to pH 8.0 and
: contains hydroxyquinoline. Samples are perfectly normal up to the
: phenol extraction step after which they vary in the intensity of
: their pinkness for no obvious reason. The pink colouration, which
: does not seem to affect quality or quantity of the DNA itself, stays
: with the aqueous phase during a subsequent chloroform extraction and
: dissappears after washing with 70% EtOH.

: As nobody has been able to suggest an explanation for such aberrant
: behaviour, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks in advance.
: Rory O'Brien.<ROBRIEN at OLLAMH.UCD.IE>
: UCD Biotechnology Centre,
: Belfield, Dublin 4.