DNA extraction using microwave???

Kevin G. Korth kkorth at kcc.com
Fri May 12 16:05:23 EST 1995

slauney at ifremer.fr (Sophie Launey, These Andre Gerard 31 12 96, Ifremer
DRV RA, 46.36.30.07) wrote:
>Hello netters.
>
>I came across an article by Zhang et al (1994) called "Rapid isolation of
>DNA for genetic screening of catfishes by polymerase chain reaction"
>(Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 123:997-1001).
>In this article, they simply boil their samples in a microwave and spin, and
>use the supernatant for PCR.
>Has anyone out there tried their method? (or any method that looks like it)
>and with which results?
>Any comments / hints appreciated
>
>Sophie

yes, actually we have been using a method by which we simply boil our
test (water) sample with 10 microliters of 1% triton X-100 per ml of
sample for 10 minutes, putting it immediatly on ice, and using that
directly in PCR.  We don't even bother spinning it down.  It has worked
wonderfully with remarkable sensistivity.

Kevin Korth
Molecular Biology Division
Corporate Microbiology Group
Kimberly-Clark Corporation