Pink DNA Preps

martin LEACH leach at bu.edu
Fri May 12 09:43:33 EST 1995

Rory O'Brien (Biotech) (ROBRIEN at ollamh.ucd.ie) wrote:
: Has anybody out there ever seen their DNA extractions turn a bright
: pink colour with the addition of phenol/chloroform/iso-amyl alcohol
: ? The DNA in question is mycobacterial but I have seen this happen
: with eukaryotic extracts also. P/C/I is Tris buffered to pH 8.0 and
: contains hydroxyquinoline. Samples are perfectly normal up to the
: phenol extraction step after which they vary in the intensity of
: their pinkness for no obvious reason. The pink colouration, which
: does not seem to affect quality or quantity of the DNA itself, stays
: with the aqueous phase during a subsequent chloroform extraction and
: dissappears after washing with 70% EtOH.

Phenol goes pink when it is oxidized...Use fresh phenol mix..

Martin

.....             Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
   _|_______      Dept. of Pharmacology       Phone: (617) 638-5323
   /  o    /      Boston Univ. School of Med. Fax:   (617) 638-4329
 _/   |-  /__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
(TURBODOZER) \_   Boston MA 02118            "Not the old underpants
                  USA                         on your head....WIBBLE
                                             " -BLACKADDER
My home page: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
Biotech Company WWW registry: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/biolcomm.html