taq isolation

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Fri May 12 06:54:22 EST 1995

In article: <494889611wnr at genesys.demon.co.uk>  Duncan Clark <Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> writes:

> With regards patents, the Roche US enzyme patent is specific for
> Thermus aquaticus YT1. Any other Thermus sp. should be OK. Don't
> forget that the PCR process is yet another patent so if you make
> something like Taq then it's use for the PCR process could also be
> illegal.
>
> This however is not the case with the European enzyme patent. Here the
> patent app. (granting is held up due to the Promega/Roche challenge
> in the US) specifies ANY thermophilic DNA pol of size range
> between something like 88000 and 94000 daltons. This takes out all
> known thermophilic pols including Bst, Bca, Vent, Pfu, Pwo, Taq, Tfl,
> Tub, Tth and Tbr etc. The US patent is nothing compared to this!

I forgot to mention that an enzyme for cycle sequencing, provided it is
not YT1, is outside both the PCR patent and the US enzyme patent. The PCR
patent claims for a method using two primers and thermal cycling. No
mention is made of the use of just one primer and cyling for sequencing so
enzymes of that nature are outside the patents.

Duncan