Probing phage libraries II: Choice of filters

Roger Anderson rogera at atcg.com
Mon May 15 11:02:29 EST 1995

Steve,
I would not lump all nylon together. I have never used Stratagene's
product so I can't say anything about that. I have used other nylon
filters and I found them to be far superior to nitrocellulose. First off
they do not need to be baked. They are stronger and hold up better in the
many steps and the UV crosslinking only takes a few minutes. You can
re-probe them repaetedly and they don't cost much more. If you want the
name of the manufacturer I was most happy with you can contact me
directly. Given my new venture I can't really endorse any one publicly.
The ATCG on the Web site has a list of many manufacturers that make
nylon and other suitable filters. You may want to look there for
alternatives. If you are using a non-radioactive detection then you
should be careful about charged membranes.

Good Luck,
Roger Anderson
Publisher
Anderson's Timesaving Comparative Guides on the Web
--
Anderson Publications                   PO Box 36
Info at atcg.com                           Monrovia, CA 91017-0036