intron-exon novice: minimum exon size??

Wed May 17 16:14:50 EST 1995

In article <3pdeai$hoo at>,
David L. Haviland, Ph.D. <HAVILAND at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU> wrote:
>In <Pine.AUX.3.91.950512132055.24587A at> hmmoss at MAIL.MED.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>> I am working on genomic clones of IL-2-induced genes.
>> Sequence data has shown that one of the exons is only 50bp long. Is that
>> possible? What are the shortest known introns/exons out there? My
>> sequence data is pretty convincing.
>> thanks for any information you can give me!!!
>> -- Heidi
>I'm not too suprised.  When I characterized the murine C5 gene, my
>smallest exon was 58 bp.  My smallest intron was exactly 100 bp as well.
>I presume you have the cDNA of these IL-2 inducible genes since they will
>tell you by alignment, where the I/E boundaries are.
>Hope this helps,

	I'm working on beta-2 microglobulin.  In humans at least, exon 3
is a mere 33 bp.  Yeah, 50 bp is reasonable.

Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989  (Ph.D. perhaps 1998???)
Location  : Stanford University, Dept. of Structural Biology, Fairchild D-105
Keywords  : immunology, music, running, Green