HELP! Genomic DNA not cutting!

Richard E. Showalter show at
Fri May 19 14:41:20 EST 1995

In article <S.Rowland-1505952146120001 at>,
S.Rowland at (Shelley Rowland) wrote:

> In article <1995May11.191903.7840 at mcrcr6>, galinm01 at wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Seeking suggestions on "how to" "clean-up"  genomic DNA that
> > refuses to digest with restriction enzymes.  Repeated phenol/chloroform
> > extractions have not helped.
> >
> > This DNA sample is semi-precious.  Will be grateful for advice and comments.

> Hi
> We digest genomic DNA routinly from many sources some alot cruder than
> others and have encountered this problem, dont dispair it is easily fixed!
> when we had this problem I talked to a friend who was involved in forensic
> DNA fingerprinting and he told me how to fix this problem by dialysis.

<cuts on great suggestion>

Amicon makes a spin dialysis device called a Centricon-100 that is perfect
for "cleaning" up chromosomal DNA.  It is a mainstay in most Forensic DNA
labs in the US who have to deal with "precious" DNA samples that don't
like to cut.  Give them a try, I don't think that you will be disapointed
in the results!  Just a happy customer.

Richard E. Showalter             "Hey Hey Hey Hey it was
Senior Associate Scientist        the DNA.  Hey Hey Hey Hey
Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.     that made me this way."
show at                  Queen-Shear Heart Attack