HELP! Genomic DNA not cutting!

Richard E. Showalter show at agouron.com
Fri May 19 14:41:20 EST 1995

In article <S.Rowland-1505952146120001 at 130.216.55.41>,
S.Rowland at auckland.ac.nz (Shelley Rowland) wrote:

> In article <1995May11.191903.7840 at mcrcr6>, galinm01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Seeking suggestions on "how to" "clean-up"  genomic DNA that
> > refuses to digest with restriction enzymes.  Repeated phenol/chloroform
> > extractions have not helped.
> >
> > This DNA sample is semi-precious.  Will be grateful for advice and comments.

<cuts>

> Hi
>
> We digest genomic DNA routinly from many sources some alot cruder than
> others and have encountered this problem, dont dispair it is easily fixed!
> when we had this problem I talked to a friend who was involved in forensic
> DNA fingerprinting and he told me how to fix this problem by dialysis.

<cuts on great suggestion>

Amicon makes a spin dialysis device called a Centricon-100 that is perfect
for "cleaning" up chromosomal DNA.  It is a mainstay in most Forensic DNA
labs in the US who have to deal with "precious" DNA samples that don't
like to cut.  Give them a try, I don't think that you will be disapointed
in the results!  Just a happy customer.

--
Richard E. Showalter             "Hey Hey Hey Hey it was
Senior Associate Scientist        the DNA.  Hey Hey Hey Hey