Safe dye for PCR?

Fri May 19 10:26:38 EST 1995

On 18 May 1995, Glen Shearer wrote:

> Anyone know of a dye that will not inhibit PCR?
>
> I would like to add a bit of blue or red (or whatever) to
> the primer soln' so that I can tell which reaction tubes
> I've added primers to so I can keep track of where I am in the
> pipetting process.
>
> Thanks
> Glen
> [gshearer at whale.st.usm.edu]

As far as I know, the standard dyes used in the so-called "blue juice"
for electrophoresis (bromophenol blue and Xylene cyanol FF) do not bind
to nucleic acids and are quite inert. However, whether these dyes come in
the purest of forms, so as not to contain potential inhibitors of
polymerase rxn., is anybody's guess. One has to be cautious in using
dyes, though, since the usefulness of these in our applications rests in
their being charged.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.